Our Manu Park 7 days are focused to spend days at the Manu Reserved Zone having much more time to explore this untouched rainforest with great chances to spot the most emblematic and top predators such as Jaguar, Caimans, Giant River otter. This trip will give you a great introduction to the beauty of the rainforest and the guided tours will provide you with invaluable information about the tremendous biodiversity in Manu National Park, actually, we are using Cusco city for the gateway of our expeditions that covers different elevations and ecosystem from the Andes to the Amazon rainforest.
Manu Reserved Zone Tour 7 days
Manu Reserve Zone tours generally range from 6 to 8 days. All tours start with overland transport from Cusco over the mountains and the cloud forest. Guadalupe Lodge at the base of the cloud forest is where you will spend the first night. However, some tours designed for the Manu reserved zone skip the cloud forest and cultural zone. This is only on the first day of travel. This in order to give more time, in the reserved zone section.
When visiting the Manu Reserve Zone, you will be accommodated in the lodges which can only be accessed by motorboat. This passes by the Limonal Ranger Station Control.
More Chances for Wildlife
In fact, there are many more chances to observe wildlife at the Reserved Zone. Larger predators inhabit these areas, surrounded by pristine forest. (Jaguar, Anaconda, Black caymans, giant river otters.)
The government protects these rainforests which lay under the reserved zone. Because of this, there is not much human intrusion from the outside world. This is in terms of preservation and most importantly protection.
The difference in Contrast to Short Tour into Manu
Tours going to the reserved zone implies more staff in operation, so that would include; tour guides, cook, motorboat drivers, and assistances accompanying the group. Weather conditions are similar in both areas. The temperature is especially warmer in the reserved zone at a lower elevation. The cultural zone it’s temperate forest due to its proximity to the cloud forest. The rainfall likely the same in both areas.
Activities on Manu Reserved Zone Tours (up 6 days)
The reserved zone is a term used to refer to the location inside the Manu Park, it comprises Limonal Ranger Station at lower Manu basin. Near to the confluence with the Alto Madre de Dios river towards Pakitza Ranger station. The following activities are exclusive of our reserved zone: The blue line traverses the Cultural Zone while the Orange goes along the Manu Reserved Zone (Touristic Zone)
Overview of activities:
DAY 1: Cusco – Guadalupe Lodge
- Enjoyable private begins in the Andes of Cusco with stunning views of the mountain peaks and remote village.
- Visit of the pre-Inca cemetery ruins at Ninamarca.
- Guided tour and breakfast at the charming colonial village of Paucartambo.
- Descent to the cloud forest and walk along the cloud forest to spot the amazing cock-of-the-rock other colorful birds and monkeys.
- Upon arrival to the Guadalupe Reserve if having time we will explore the trails that will take us along the swampy forest to look for the capuchin monkeys.
- Night walk to look for reptiles and insects.
DAY 2: Guadalupe Lodge – El Dorado Lodge
- Breakfast and early departure and minivan ride to Atalaya port where we will board our motorized and roofed (to provide shelter from the sudden tropical downpour and suns bath)
- Motorized canoe to navigate the exciting Alto Madre de Dios observation of some wildlife along the riverbank, capibaras, macaws and raptors (6 hours approx of the boat journey)
- Moderate walking in the afternoon provides a good opportunity to experience the flora and fauna in the remoteness of the Park while observing some animals or at least tracks of peccaries, the tapir.
Day 3: El Dorado Lodge – Casa Matsiguenka
- Breakfast at El Dorado Lodge.
- Manu Riverboat journey – Manu National park access to the reserved zone of the park, after registration at Limonal Rager Station.
- Relaxing boat ride along the upper Manu reserved zone with greater possibilities to spot emblematic animals such as wild cats, monkeys, capibaras, etc. (boat journey of 4 hours and observe of wildlife along the river, aquatic birds, caymans, capibaras,
- Arrival to Casa Matsiguenka at around midday
- Afternoon walk along the pristine rainforest.
Day 4: Casa Matsiguenka
- Exploration by Catamarans of the Salvador oxbow lake famous for its population of Giant Otters and wildlife viewing such different species of monkeys (red howler, black spider, white and brown capuchins, tamarins, etc ) (2 hours approx) caimans use to emerged out from the water for basking themselves during sunshine.
- The short boat journey to the Otorongo canopy tower trailhead and a visit to the giant kapok tree (60 meters tall ) and other alternative trails.
- Overview from canopy tower of the wonderful section of untouched rainforest in the vicinity of the Otorongo oxbow lake, chances for aquatic birds, caimans, giant river otters. (2 hours)
- Dinner at Casa Matsiguenka.
Day 5: Casa Matsiguenka – El Dorado Lodge
- Breakfast and an early morning departure.
- The boat ride and great chances to observe some wildlife along the river banks and registration of exit of the Manu park at Limonal ranger station.
- Opportunity for catching a glimpse of the magnificent birds or capibaras as long as we are navigating the Alto Madre de Dios river and traveling against the current.
- Walk along with the system of trails of the lodge looking for some wildlife during the afternoon. Overnight at El Dorado Lodge.
Day 6: El Dorado Lodge – Guadalupe Lodge
- Breakfast at the lodge
- We will have chances to pass by a small parrot clay lick during morning time, nearby the lodge there is a spot where some parakeet, parrots and small macaws perch and lick some clay from the banks of the river.
- Motorized canoe to navigate the exciting Alto Madre de Dios and stop at the hot medicinal springs by midday and lunch on board Arrival to Atalaya Port and travel towards our Guadalupe Lodge (1.30 hour)
- Optional visit of the wildlife rescued center *
After our arrival at the Guadalupe Reserve if having time we will explore the trails that will take us along the swampy forest to look for the capuchin monkeys. Night walk to look for reptiles.
Day 7: El Dorado Lodge – Cusco
- Breakfast at the lodge.
- A guided walk around the garden of the lodge to explain the medicinal and curative plants such as; coca leaf, wild tomatoes, annatto.
- Visit the natural caves to observe large spiders and bats and trail along the creek.
- Chances for some wildlife viewing along the cloud forest.
- Arrival to Cusco around the 16:00 hrs.